Friday, August 15, 2008

I Knew This Was A Bad Idea

I'm usually not one for knitalongs or other types of knitting together. I like doing my own thing on my own time. Same reason I don't join a bookclub even though I love to read. So why oh why did I think joining the Olympic Knitting group was a good idea? And an even better question, just what was I thinking when I picked the Flower Basket Shawl in LACEWEIGHT??!! I have now officially ripped back more than I have knitted. I can see it might be a beautiful thing when (make that if) it ever gets done. But it's taking everything I have to keep at it. Maybe that's what it takes to be a true Olympian. I think I should have signed up to be on the alternate team, you know, the one who waits in the wings at home, just in case. I'm going to keep working on it but I think to like it I'm going to need to work on it without the pressure of a deadline. My guess is that unless a miracle occurs there won't be any medal in this corner. Here's a picture of where it stands right now, pitifull!


I've been finding so many "other" things calling my name I think in avoidance of the shawl. I have some really cute socks called Farfalle Socks from Orinda5. I saw her knitting them on her blog and was silently stalking to see if she would publish the pattern. She did, you can find it on Ravelry or her blog. They really work up nicely and farfalle is my favorite pasta!


I also boought some Cascade 220 in a really pretty orangey/peachy colorway (no suprise there) yesterday. I was planning on a Knitting Pure and Simple cardigan but somehow the February Lady sweater seems to be calling out to the yarn. I have plenty to make the sweater so I think that will be in the works pretty darn soon. I just have to go wind up some yarn to start.


It's hard to believe that the summer is winding down. K heads back to school in two weeks. He's had a busy summer working and making lots of money to support his habits at school. He's been down to Patriot's training camp a number of times and even got to go to the first pre-season game (too bad they lost). But now it's time to go through the mess he brought home and figure out what goes back as well what is needed. I know we need sheets (note to moms of boys- when they go off to college buy one pair of sheets, not really expensive ones as these guys don't bother to wash them and they STINK. Throw away and repeat each semester or each year depending on the complaints of the roommates!) and some basics but I think otherwise things are good. We'll see what list of things he comes up with.


Have you looked out your windows lately, I mean when it's not raining? This is what I noticed today-


Can you see it? The leaves are starting to turn. Yikes, fall is closer that I thought!

Off to check out some fridges to replace the twenty year old model in our kitchen. Time to update and in case you hadn't heard, no sales tax this weekend in MA. Have a good one.

2 comments:

cath said...

Um, yea, to complete my shawl on time, I will need to knit approx 50 rows a day. Since I have only knit about 50 in the last week (a week I took off from work no less) it seems unlikely that I will be getting any medals at this olympics. Still, I'm glad I did it--this is my first lace, and it is finally starting to be fun.

Unknown said...

You see? This is exactly why I recommended that we have a Special Knitting Olympics -- where everyone gets a medal just for trying and there's no pressure!

I can't even tell you how many projects are calling to me right now, in the midst of the Christmas Marathon. I actually bought the yarn for two of them yesterday....I think you should cast on February Lady so I can live vicariously through you.