Sunday, September 21, 2008

This Should Come As No Suprise

For those of you who read this (and there aren't that many) this should come as no suprise. I've been trying to update the house. Slowly rooms are being painted. We are on the dining room now, soon to hopefully move into the kitchen. But this weekend I decided I needed to paint the front door of the house. It's been a shade of pink for a very long time. We have a grey house with white trim and black shutters. It was pretty but it's everywhere. So many grey houses have pink doors. I've been known to watch my share of the "how to dress" shows and know that grey/black/white, they are all neutrals. And you can put anything with a neutral, right? Can you see where this is going? Oh yeah, it's orange! I had those little paint chips all over the door trying to see if I thought orange would work. I thought it just might. So I chose "Tiger Stripe" and off I painted. It was ORANGE, so orange you couldd probably see it at your house, where ever you may be. I tried to convince myself and my hubby that it was all good. Nope, this morning it was still a neon orange. I love orange but it was just too much. So back to the paint chips. Back to Home Depot and home with "Summer Heat". I like it. It has more black in it which really tones it down as opposed to the yellowy orange I painted over. Might be a winner, I'll have to see. But with the pretty rust mums by the door and the pumpkins on the steps I'm liking it. What do you think?


On the knitting front I finished a few projects. The February Lady sweater is done and I've worn it a few times. It gets comments everywhere. I love it, it fits well and looks really nice. I would make it again, in fact I know I will.


February Lady Sweater


Cascade 220

I also finished a scarf in Blue Heron Rayon Metallic. The colorway is Bluegrass. I love this yarn. I can't wait for more to show up at Butterfly Yarns. We have been waiting with needles poised for it to come in. We've all come to start calling it fondly the "Blue Heroin"!

Projects right now are the Running Horses Hat from Ravelry. Making it for M out of some lucious alpaca. I am using it for my class project on learning how to trap yarn in colorwork at Butterfly Yarns. I'm a slow student and hopefully can master the process so I will have a pretty hat for M. I also started a very boring brown sweater for the eldest son. Just a 6x2 rib. It's a good mindless project. I think there are also some socks around here too.

I bought a book seen on another blog I read. It's this book on making bread in 5 minutes. That is after you do the initial prep and it doesn't count the baking time. But as I love bread almost as much as I love orange I'm giving it a try. I have my first starter batch almost ready for the fridge. It's not sourdough although the concept is similiar. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I also have the new Mason-Dixon: Knitting Outside the Lines waiting for me to curl up with. I'm looking forward to a nice cup of tea and maybe some warm bread and a quiet afternoon. Soon, very soon.

Anyone heading to Rhinebeck? I signed up for the WEBS trip however I didn't get on the bus :( I am planning on heading to my parents Friday and then to Rhinebeck from there for the day. I had such fun last year and the yarn........oh boy. My Monday Night Knitting buddy is going too. She hasn't been before so it will be fun to hang out with her. Going to get some wine too this year!

Well, it's time for a second coat of orange paint. See you soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No sleep 'til Rhinebeck!!!! I'm going to have to check out the paint color you used on your door, because we would really like to paint our house orange, but a toned down orange so that people don't drive by and say "Ooh, pumpkin house!"

I love the running horse hat, by the way.

Orinda5 said...

I love your orange door!
I wanted to get our door and shutters repainted a different color this summer - right now it is very raspberry (painted by the former owners). I guess there is still time. I would love to do orange, but our roof is terracotta with white-ish siding, and I think we need a contrasting color.

Your Feb Lady looks fabulous.
Makes me think that I still haven't started a sweater for myself yet.