Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My Recipe Box

For those of you who read the Mason-Dixon blog you know they are having a contest. You show off your recipe box and where it hides, share a recipe and post to their blog comments and you are entered. So here is my box and it's hiding spot.

My box....... ......hides in the cupboard











For the most part the recipes are on index cards and clippings , a few are actually in the box. I have great aspirations of someday rewriting them and filing them appropriately but there are always better things to do. Plus I can often identify the recipe by what card it's on or the paper it was in so I'd probably never manage to find the recipes again if I try to really organize them. I think they'd lose their charm!


One of our favorite family recipes is also one of the easiest ever. It came from my mom, I'm not sure if it was originally hers or from someone else but we all love it. I made it the other day and my 19 year old told me he loved me for making it. Without further ado-


Brisket
Any size fresh beef brisket (not corned)
Box of dried onion soup mix

Place brisket on a large piece of foil. Sprinkle the dried soup mix all over the brisket. If you have a very large piece you may want to use both packets of soup mix. Wrap up in foil, you might need more pieces and seal the edges well. Place in a pan large enough to hold the package. Place in oven for 5-6 hours at 250 degrees. Yummy!

Tonight is our rescheduled Monday Night knitting group and I can't wait to see everybody. I'm off to wind up some Euroflax that I will be knitting into the Bubbly Curtain from Mason-Dixon Knitting.

1 comment:

Kay said...

The onion soup mix is my mom's absolute go-to ingredient. It's great in meatloaf, along with all the other stuff that goes in meatloaf.

xoxo Kay